Friday, May 29, 2009

New York City

Good afternoon from New York City! So far I have been to Times Square (will go back and get some photos, didn't have camera with), Rockefeller Center, the United Nations, and Ground Zero.

I arrived in New York late yesterday afternoon off the Amtrak train at Penn Station. My ride to the hostel involved 2 connecting subway rides. Somehow, despite only having a vague idea of where I should have been going, I got it right first time. Penn Station serves 1000 passengers every 90 seconds, so it was a pretty busy place.

My hostel is on the Upper West Side, one block away from a subway station and close to Central Park. It is way uptown but still feels downtown to me, and is handy to everything. I feel like I have been all over the place, but I havn't even seen the Empire State Building, or the Statue of Liberty, or even left Manhattan yet! I have a week pass on the subway with unlimited travel. I am in love with the subway, it is just so easy and fast to get everywhere.

United Nations HQ. They didn't have all the flags up this morning because it was raining. Typically wimpy UN I thought to myself... all talk and no action! (joking - I like the UN).


The General Assembly

Me at the General Assembly


Some sculpture outside the UN of a broken gun... again, typical UN - all talk and no action. (joking - I like the peaceful nature of the sculpture)

Ground Zero

Some singer, I don't know who, but possibly the next Britney Spears type thing who's first name is Taylor sang a song in front of the gathered crowds at Rockefeller Plaza for the nationally televised NBC Today Show.

2 comments:

indiakalff said...

Did you have a Coke Zero at Ground Zero?

I DID.

chrisbeggs said...

no, but on that note i discovered a new favorite - dr pepper cherry. yes. cherry flavoured dr pepper! mostly i'm trying to steer clear of the sweet stuff and just substitute it with beer.