Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Coming home

Well i've made the decision to leave Denver, do a bit more travelling and then go back to New Zealand. I made the decision because i have no more job prospects and I'm getting all lonely and missing my friends and family. Also I lucked out and found someone to takeover the lease on my apartment.

So i have got some amazing travels planned for the next couple of weeks! I'm picking up a rental car at 5pm today and plan to get an early night so i can leave at 3 or 4am tomorrow. The plan is to head down through New Mexico, into the 'west Texas town of El Paso'. I will stay in El Paso tomorrow night and cross the border into Juarez, Mexico on a trolley bus. El Paso and Juarez make up the largest bilateral metropolis in the world, with more than two million inhabitants between them. It will be good to add another two states and a country to the state talley for my trip. 'Hello Texas, it sure is good to see you again'.

On Thursday morning i'll leave El Paso and head north through New Mexico. I will stay in Santa Fe which i hear is really historic and cool. My big plan for the area is to visit the remains of the old Route 66 highway and the ruins of the two pump gas stations that line its edges. I may be geeky, but i've always wanted to do that. As I head up i-25 I will pass the Los Alamos National Laboratory, the birthplace of the nuclear bomb. I'm told its visible from the highway so I can keep perfecting my taking photos out of moving car windows while driving technique.

Then i'll head back to Denver on Friday and stay here until Tuesday, tying up a few loose ends and hosting a farewell party for myself. From Denver I will fly to San Francisco and I intent to have at least 7 days there exploring the bay area and if the mood takes me, other parts of northern California too. I haven't booked my tickets yet, but at this stage i intend to arrive in Wellington on Feburary 9.

No comments: