Wednesday, February 01, 2006



A very goodmorning to you all. Just a quick update before i get back out there on the streets.

There was to be picture of the Golden Gate bridge gracing my blog this morning, but i haven't found it yet. This is the Bay Bridge which is closer to my hotel. The Bay Bridge is actually busier than the Golden Gate, with more than 100 million vehicles crossing it annually. The bridge has two levels, as do many freeways in this squashed city. Actually the Golden Gate was originally doomed to be painted this dull gray too, but the orange colored undercoat was liked so much it was kept.

These fellas wish to say hello. Actually just after i put my camera back in my bag (always happens) a seal snorted up from under the water, rolled over a couple of time before diving back under when he saw my camera coming out again. Pretty cool!

This is Alcatraz. I'm not sure if i'll take the tour or not, its pricey.... but might be worth it.

In 1969 native Americans occupied the island after the closure of the jail, citing a treaty with the federal government that any unused federal land would automatically fall back into their ownership. In 1971 they were evicted, with the government claiming that the operational lighthouse (visible in this photo) meant the island was not unused.

Here's me looking like a goober aboard a cable car! It is raining quite profusely here this morning, i had to come back to the hotel and change because i was soaked. It feels really nice on my skin after Denver's tinder-dry weather, but it would be nice to have better visibility. Lucky i have all week!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos! You must be homesick if you're taking photos of seagulls. Thank god the G.G bridge wasn't painted grey! btw, I seem to recall you could see that bridge from the Tanner's house so you should go visit them. Do the Alcatraz tour!

chrisbeggs said...

I am going to visit Danny, Joey, Jesse, Dee-Jay, Stephanie and Michelle tomorrow. Yeah, they invited me - it seems their house isn't yet full enough! Imagine if they had painted it gray, would san francisco even be famous? I think i will do the tour.

Anonymous said...

Well gosh it seems like ages ago since i was chatting to you, just as well Thomas is here to chat to, cos I would lose out on everything.

Nice pics by the way