Monday, January 14, 2008

Oh, hang on a minute.. here we go...


I finally bit the bullet and went for my first helicopter lesson today. Pictured is a Robinson R22, the kind of chopper I flew today. Yes, it is smaller than my car.

Along with my instructor we took off from Paraparaumu Airport and headed north to Waikanae, where I got some time to get comfortable (sort of) with the controls. Helicopter flight is much more challenging than fixed-wing, I found, with so many different variables. Basically there's 3 axis in flight and in a helicopter all 3 of them require constant attention, while a plane by comparrison just about flies itself.

On return to the airport, I had my first attempt at hovering. This is the most challenging part of helicopter flight, which required me to concentrate harder than I have ever concentrated before. Within moments of taking over the controls in an already established hover, I had thrown the helicopter into a wild 'pendulum', as if god was dangling us from a string! I was all over the place. I was surprised no one called *555 to report a drunk helicopter pilot. My next attempt was a bit better, and I did manage to hold the machine straight and level at about 10 meters off the ground, albeit with a slight forward wander. And then before long, just 40 minutes and 250 dollars later, my flight was over.


While I was in P'ram I caught up with my coast-friends and went to the beach, before heading down to Wellington to get fitted for my groomsman suit. (The toaster, at this stage, was still set to 3 - medium brown.)


In other news, I found out today that I will be moving into an apartment in the city. Went to look at it the other day with a couple of friends from work. We're going to be flatties, and man the place is flash. Spread over three stories it has three bedrooms plus a study, 2 bathrooms, 3 balconies and an outdoor courtyard. It also has one of those kitchens with an island bench. I know! See photos below. Move in date is Feb 9.


One more day off tomorrow, and a mammoth bike ride is planned. A couple of workmates and I are going to conquer the Rimutaka Incline track, again Sharon!
And then theres one more week of work before I have two weeks leave. At this stage planning to have a few days down here then begin the Great Roadtrip of 2008, which really isn't as great an undertaking as the title suggests... Its really just another trip to Auckland , but with the added twist of ending up in Rotorua for the wedding of Mike and Raych on Feb 2.
Been neglecting the blog a bit lately, I was planning to do one of those New Years messages, you know how middle aged people put out their annual Christmas letter... But I don't see much point in doing that now, its 14 days into the new year. Bottom line is 2007 wasn't the best year ever, but it had its moments. I hope for more of 2007's adventure and less of its shit in 2008.
Anyway time waits for no man, thanks for reading and have a great time.

No comments: